Starting on May 3rd, 2012, my wife and I will take our first steps onto the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail, which begins in Campo, CA at the US/Mexico border fence and ends in Manning Park, Canada. Our goal is to finish this behemoth trail in five months.
Along the way, we aim to raise $10,000 for the Myelin Repair Foundation, a non-profit researcher in California that continues to make huge leaps in new treatments for Multiple Sclerosis and other neurological diseases.
This hike is dedicated to Barbara Hudson - my mom - who has spent her 20+ years with MS giving back instead of giving up.
Fewer people have "thru-hiked" all 2,650 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail than have summited Mt. Everest. That seems crazy, but it's true. Along the way, we'll pass through some of the most beautiful yet unforgiving wildernesses in the United States - the Mojave Desert, Yosemite Valley and the snow-covered Sierra Nevada Mountains to name just a few.
We'll be recording our adventures under "Updates" on this site, as well as uploading photos and videos before/during/after the trail.
All we ask in response is that you help us reach our goal. Donate. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter. There are so many ways that you can help, and all of them are important.
As a "thank you" for your support, we will be sending out the following gifts after the PCT hike is completed.
- $25 - One handwritten thank-you postcard from the PCT.
- $50 - A postcard collection. Five of the most-striking landscapes from our hike.
- $150 - Matted 5" x 7" landscape photo + handwritten, personalized thank you letter
- $250 -11" x 17" 2013 Making Miles calendar featuring 13 beautiful and diverse landscapes + handwritten, personalized thank you letter
- $500 -16" x 20" landscape photo of your choosing. Matted. Handcrafted frame. Glass included and shipped safely to your door + handwritten, personalized thank you letter.
Thank you for your time and see you on the Trail!
Shawn & Maury